On-the-Go Eats You and Your Kids Will Love
Odds are that you’ve already kicked off 2020 with plenty of promises and intentions to carry through the year with a happier, healthier family. Keep your kids – and yourself – running at your peak with healthy eats, no matter how on the go your life may be.
- Deli wrap-ups – Deli meat has plenty of on-the-go potential and, added bonus, it’s versatile. Simply top it with your choice of dressing or spread and wrap it around your choice of filling. Here are a few favorite combos:
- Turkey + mustard + dill pickle
- Chicken + chipotle low-fat mayo + celery stick
- Ham + cheddar + pretzel stick
- Turkey + Greek yogurt cream cheese + apple sticks
- The “Un-wich” – Bread-free sandwiches are a great way to get rid of unhealthy starches while also being easily transportable. Iceberg lettuce doesn’t offer much in the way of nutrients and Romaine can prove a bit messy, so consider opting for Bibb, Boston, or Butter lettuce which offer nutrients and flexible wrapping options.
- Tapas On-the-Go – You know what they say; variety is the spice of life. Plus, what’s more fun than finger food? Have some fun and mix things up with a healthy bento box of finger foods. Consider low-fat cheese cubes, travel-friendly fruits (such as grapes or clementine slices), olives, hummus and veggies (carrots, celery, cauliflower, and broccoli florets all keep well), raw nuts, and an easy whole wheat starch, such as Wasa crackers.
- Yogurt – Yogurt is the gift that keeps on giving, providing Calcium and, in many cases, fruits. Opt for a low-fat Greek yogurt and make sure to check the labels before buying – though many are called Greek yogurt, they’re still loaded with sugars (sometimes as high as 24 grams in a serving!). If you can’t find a fruit option with low sugar content (no more than six-seven grams per serving), opt for plain. Top it off with a natural, no sugar added granola and fresh fruit for a well-rounded meal any time of day.
Staying healthy on the go doesn’t have to be impossible, require Pinterest-worthy plating, or take tons of time. Keep it simple and you’ll keep it achievable – this month and the next 11 that follow.